CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 21, 2011

1st Treatment today!

Well, today was the 1st lymphedema treatment for both my legs. It feels very much like a Tens Unit does, but in a bigger scale. I have to go for 1 hour, 3 days a week for the next 9 weeks. Please please say a prayer for me that it helps get the fluid out of my legs. If it doesn't, the orthopedic doc will not do my knee replacements.

I am at a critical state as my knee on the right side keeps giving out causing me to fall. And with my osteoporsis, that is NOT a god thing. I fell a few days ago and hurt my right shoulder again. This is the same shoulder I had surgery on a few years ago and have a screw in. I see the orthopedic doc next week to see how bad I screwed it up. The really bad part is, now that my shoulder is in such bad shape, I cannot use my cane. UGH!!! 

This morning I had a really hard time in the shower and being stable I told Greg it's time to get a shower / tub seat. So my doc writes the prescription, and we go to the med supply store only to find out my insurance won't pay for it and it's $120.00 for the one to fit my tub. Their reason is a tub/shower seat is not considered medical equipment. But they will pay thousands of $$$ for an emergency room visit when I fall in the shower again like I did in december. Doesn't make much sense really. I also saw a walker at the med supply store that I thought would be better for me. It's the kind with a seat, so when I get tired or dizzy I can sit down. And the insurance will pay for the expensive walker. Go figure, they feel it's important for me to be mobile, but not important for me to take care of daily hygene. Something wrong with that picture!

But, I guess I really shouldn't complain as Humana has been very good to me over the past few years. And aside from a very expensive arthritis drug, this is the only other thing they wouldn't pay for. So if you are on medicare and looking into a medicare replacement policy I really suggest you look into Humana. I pay a bit extra each month for the policy I have, but it's worth every dime. ( I have the Humana Choice PPO policy)

I also got fitted for ankle braces today. With my knees being so unstable my ankles are giving me trouble. They cast my feet and ankles, and the braces will be specially made for me. They will be made out of leather and will be able to fit in my shoes, so since I live in pants/jeans, no one will be able to see them. I like that! :)

The arthritis is starting to deform my feet as well, and doc said I will probably have to look into specially made shoes. She gave me a catalog and I was shocked! They are really nice-normal looking shoes! But hopefully I can wait a while with those....

So I bored you enough with my med update, so I'll sign off for now. Wanna bake some brownies to take to doc's office tomorrow. Have a great day, and stay cool! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment